Had a break from writing (and blogging) because I’ve been on holiday. All my good intentions went right out. I didn’t:
- do any research
- write my morning pages (there were no curtains in the cottage. I was woken by Josh as the sun rose. There’s a limit to what you can achieve in a cottage containing four adults and two young children. Morning Pages are not included. )
- read through what I’ve written so far and make a detailed character list.
But I did:
- eat too much (fresh baguette, butter and cheese!)
- drink too much (especially vodka orange one night in Vierzon. Ouch)
- swam every day (in the freezing pool at the cottage. Josh would jump in and gasp at the cold. His lips would be getting blue before he’d come out to warm up before getting back in. I had hoped to get him swimming by the end of the week, but at least his confidence has improved)
- visted two chateaux (Valencay and Chennonceau)
- broke my parents’ car (but it was ok in the end)
- read Tell No One.
I didn’t really expect to get anything done on the novel, but it’s going to be hard to get back into the swing of things again – especially the morning pages. I also came back to a mountain post which included a rejection for a short story I sent to Mslexia. I didn’t really expect it to be accepted, but that doesn’t help me to ignore the little nagging voice inside that tells me to give it all up now…
Off to do ironing and watch an episode of Danger Man to take my mind off writing and the french-bread-and-cheese in the evening habit I’ve developed.